Monday, August 5, 2013

It Matters

It matters. It.Matters. IT.MATTERS.  When He spoke that to me, I thought that while what I was planning was fun, it was perhaps inconsequential. After all, a silly, spur-of-the-moment party couldn't matter all that much.  Or could it?  Thoughts rolled through my mind of years of little things.  Little things I had done for others, as well as things that had been done for me and my family.  Then the reminder of how He has been showing me that so often in the past I drew such a distinct line between the ‘sacred’ and the ‘secular’, between doing things that I deemed ‘spiritual’ or ‘worthwhile’, and then ‘all the rest of life’ and ‘duty’.  Now I’m beginning to wonder if there really is a dividing ‘line’ after all.  Such a silly gladness came over me.  In my mind I was planning the party and He was gonna be there.  After all, isn't He everywhere with me?  Of course He is.  Then I thought of my friends, others just like me, facing a similar struggle.  Wondering, what matters?  Is it only the ‘churchy’ things I do? The answer was so clear.  It all matters.  Having coffee with a dear friend.  Homeschooling.  Playing Legos. Teaching a Bible Study. Smiling at a stranger.  Holding open a door.  Slipping a few bucks to someone who needs it more than you. Enjoying creation. Reading the Bible. Reading the comics. Reading classic literature. Grocery shopping. Back-to-school shopping. Visiting a neighbor. Making a meal for a family. Going to the movies. Reading the same book to a 2 year old for the 1000th time.  Doing laundry.  Bathing the kids.  Flea-dipping the dog. Writing a note of encouragement.  Swimming at the river with friends. Serving in the church nursery.   Driving a friend to the airport. Sipping tea as the sun rises. It all matters. Such a tremendous relief washes over me as I soak in the truth.  I no longer have to strive to accomplish something of importance.  My life has meaning because He lives in me.  I allow Him to flow out of everything I do, whether I am alone or with others. I get to live my life in big and small ways that says He is real, He is good, He lives, and above all else, He loves. So, I will get back to the preparations for my Shark Week party with all the enthusiasm of a hyper, sugar-laden 3 year old, knowing that this too matters.  While I still have another breath I get to love the people around me and make an impact. Because it really does matter.

3 comments:

  1. Precisely, there is no distinction between the two parts. That is our Daily Witness, and it's also what draws people into the Kingdom when they figure out they want the joy we have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome encouragement!! He really cares about all of me. He really cares about all my STUFF. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete